Sunday, December 6, 2009

(untitled)




Redbarn Poser
13 x 19

Redbarn newspaper ad
10.5 x 10.5

Redbarn brochure
duplex, 8.5 x 14

Redbarn web banner
3.5 x 9.5

This post is untitled because I have gotten sick of seeing the name of this project. Red Barn. It was slow to start, but alas, I prevailed and knocked out these layouts. The concept has been around from the beginning, the actual design of these pieces took a bit longer to form in my mind and so on the paper/computer.

'Welcome to our neck of the woods' is the tag line that I stuck with. It sounds pretty small-town and so I felt that it fit with the event. It took around 1.5 hours of brainstorming to land on this particular concept, having looked through my photos and noticing that I had just as many if not more photos of people than crafts at the festival.

Once I had the concept, I perused the photos I had taken and selected a diverse group of them that showed a variety of things that take place at the event. Once selected I resized/cropped them to fit in a format that I had decided upon for the photos for the outside of the brochure as well as on the other 3 items to be designed. Doing so took close to 3 hours.

Once I was finally able to wrap my head around the massive amount of copy for the brochure, the next step was to lay it out in a readable, cohesive manner. This process took a total of 3 hours.

I realized after going back to the way that the photos were laid out that it was a bit difficult to work with and looked a bit awkward, so it took my a good amount of time attempting to either work with it as was or tweak it to make it look more pleasant. I ended up discovering that the layout as a whole would look much lovelier when the photo was changed to a duotone involving red. I also needed a better way to make the concept on the whole more understandable. I did so by drawing stylized trees. Awesome. Getting into the newspaper ad and the web banner, I realized that the full tree layout would not fit as well, and so I did COBs on some of the individual photos to add to the design. The final layout process for all 4 pieces took 10 hours.

So, adding it all up, I have spent 17.5 hours looking at these layouts (not including the countless and unmeasurable hours spent thinking about it alone). I am pleased with the concept, but am aware of a few issues that need to be resolved.

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment